Simplifying our travel experience
September 28, 2013 Leave a comment
After having someone walk off with our luggage a second time in 2 years (both times by accident), we decided to add luggage tags to all of our suitcases. Originally, we tried the store-bought tags, but they often fell apart after a few trips, and the customized online tags seemed like a poor ROI, as we wanted to place two tags on every bag and not have to add/remove the tags every trip.
The solution was to have business cards printed on colored paper – double-sided. This can be done with a MS Word template, or you can actually have business cards created via several methods. FedEx Office (previously Kinko’s) will laminate the cards and provide the plastic loops for ~$2/each. In fact, you can walk into any FedEx Office and ask them how to do the entire project if you want to avoid the smallest amount of cognitive discomfort. We’ve been using these for about 8 years, and only one has broken in all that time.
- The total time to complete the project was less than an hour.
- The tags were completely unique and high quality, unlike the store-bought items.
- The solution is cheap enough to have extras made for new bags and broken tags.
- Since implementing, no airline has ever lost our bags, and no one has ever taken our bags.
- With two on each bag, we can always see our bags on the conveyor from a distance. (i.e. No more checking bags that look like yours.)
- With these, there is no more scrambling to fill out the airline-specific tags while impatient passengers wait on you at the check-in counter.